Decorating your Christmas tree and your home is one of the greatest pleasures of Christmas celebrations at the end of the year. What is the electricity consumption of the Christmas garland? How can the financial and energy costs generated by these lights be reduced? The answer is in this article.
The estimate of the electricity consumption of the Christmas garland
Assumption of the consumption of the Christmas tinsel 5 meters long, and equipped with 50 bulbs of 0.65 W:
- The electrical capacity that a string light has is about 30 W
- We estimate it works approx. 4 hours a day (at the start of the evening)
- We imagine that it will be installed over a period of 20 days (from December 15th to January 5th)
The total amount of electrical energy used by the garland is 2.4 Kilowatts.
Nationally, it is estimated that approximately 6 million bulbs are erected during the holiday season. The electricity consumption per night is therefore 200 MW.
Limit the amount of electricity consumed by the garland: LEDs and solar
It is quite possible to reduce the energy consumption of the Christmas garland. When buying your garland, be sure to check the power consumption and choose a garland that includes:
- LED light bulbs
- Energy-saving compact fluorescent bulbs.
There are also energy efficient fairy lights. These are solar garlands equipped with LED bulbs. The battery they are equipped with recharges throughout the day by absorbing sunlight. For more economy and comfort, some models also trigger at sunset (twilight triggering).
The program is designed to reduce the power consumption of electric garlands
In order to maximize energy efficiency throughout the Christmas period to achieve the best energy savings, the ADEME (French Environment and Energy Management Agency) suggests that the entire population turn off the lights at night and before bedtime.
To make sure you don't forget, you can automate turning Christmas lights on and off. To do this, various solutions are available to you:
- Electronic garlands programmable (with integrated programmer)
- The outdoor mechanical programmer
- The programmable digital socket
- The programmable socket
* Solutions sorted from most practical to most practical.